Ο Ερτογάν προμήθευε με όπλα τους τζιχατιστές στην Συρία και αυτοί του πουλούσαν φτηνό πετρέλαιο
Αυτό αποκαλύφθηκε με βίντεο από την πιο παλιά και μεγαλύερη εφημερίδα της Τουρκίας
Fri May 29, 2015 | 1:33pm EDT
Video purports to show Turkish intelligence shipping arms to Syria
A Turkish newspaper published video footage on Friday which it said showed security forces discovering weapons parts being sent to Syria on trucks belonging to the MIT state intelligence agency.
The footage shows gendarmerie and police officers opening crates on the back of the trucks which contain what newspaper Cumhuriyet described as weapons and ammunition. Cumhuriyet said the video was from Jan. 19, 2014 but did not say how it had obtained the footage.
Reuters reported last week that witnesses and prosecutors have alleged that MIT helped deliver arms to parts of Syria under Islamist rebel control during late 2013 and early 2014, quoting a prosecutor and court testimony from gendarmerie officers.
Reuters could not verify the authenticity of the video footage, but the license plates on several of the vehicles matched those given in witness testimony seen by Reuters relating to the Jan. 19 search in the southern province of Adana.
President Tayyip Erdogan has said the trucks stopped that day belonged to MIT and were carrying aid to Turkmens in Syria. He has said prosecutors had no authority to search MIT vehicles and were part of what he calls a «parallel state» run by his political enemies and bent on discrediting the government.
The state-run Anadolu news agency said the Istanbul chief prosecutor’s office had launched an investigation into Cumhuriyet’s editor-in-chief under counter-terrorism laws after the footage was published on its website.
Syria and some of Turkey’s Western allies say Turkey, in its haste to see President Bashar al-Assad toppled, let fighters and arms go over the border to hardline Islamist rebel groups in Syria.
Ankara has denied arming Syria’s rebels or assisting hardline Islamists. Diplomats and Turkish officials say it has in recent months imposed tighter controls on its borders.
The witness testimony and the footage appear to contradict Turkey’s denials that it sent arms to Syrian rebels.
Part of the Cumhuriyet footage seen by Reuters but not published on the newspaper’s website shows gendarmerie and police officers surrounding the three trucks and a passenger car. One man is seen being brought down from the cab of one of the trucks, before being shown what appears to be a prosecutor’s search warrant.
«Don’t touch me, don’t touch. You’re going to see my ID,» the man says as he is pulled from the cab.
«Don’t treat me like you have captured a terrorist,» another man tells a gendarmerie officer who has handcuffed him.
According to witness testimony and the prosecutor’s report, the three trucks were allowed to continue their journey after MIT officials accompanying them threatened police.
More than 30 gendarmerie officers involved in the Jan. 19 search and the attempted search of another truck a few weeks earlier now face charges including military espionage and attempting to overthrow the government, according to an April 2015 Istanbul court document.
They deny the charges, according to their lawyers and their testimony.
(Reporting by Hamdi Istanbullu and Humeyra Pamuk; Writing by Nick Tattersall; Editing by Andrew Roche)
Ο Ερτογάν δημόσια στην τηλεόραση αναφέρθηκε στο περιστατικό σαν κρατικό μυστικό και ότι ο διευθυντής ειδήσεων της εφημερίδας θα τιμωρηθεί πάρα πολύ αυστηρά……….
Photograph: Kayhan Ozer/AP
Monday 28 December 2015 16.49 GMT Last modified on Thursday 11 August 2016 10.55 BST
In Turkey, a debate as old as government itself is on the agenda again. This time, it is the Turkish government’s secret arms transfer to Syria that has revitalised the subject.
Early in 2014, a truck understood to belong to the Turkish intelligence service (MIT) was stopped near the Syrian border. The gendarmerie and the intelligence officials in control of the convoy pulled guns on each other. This was the moment the two blocks vying to rule the state came face to face. The truck was searched. Beneath the camouflage composed of medicines boxes, weapons and ammunition were found. The truck was held for a while, but following the intervention of government officials a safe passage into Syria was granted.
The government immediately discharged the prosecutor and gendarmerie who stopped the convoy and had them arrested. It was declared that the trucks contained humanitarian aid. This incident, which fuelled allegations that President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government was intervening in the Syrian civil war, was rapidly covered up.
Turkish journalists charged over claim that secret services armed Syrian rebels
In May 2015, however, Cumhuriyet Daily, the newspaper I serve as the editor-in-chief, acquired the footage of this incident. It was clearly visible that the truck was loaded with arms. It was thus documented that the intelligence service was illegally carrying arms into the civil war raging in a neighbouring country. This was big news. We published details of the operation with photos, and uploaded the video to our website.
Erdoğan was in a fix. He couldn’t refute the story, so instead chose to censor the publication and threaten the journalist responsible, who was me. In a live broadcast on a state TV channel, he said: “The person who wrote this story will pay a heavy price for it; I won’t let him go unpunished.” He added that the footage was a “state secret”, and that publishing it was an act of “espionage”. Furthermore, as if to confirm that this was not the state’s secret but his secret, he filed a personal complaint to the prosecutor’s office.
The punishment he demanded for me was two life sentences – for “treason” and for “acquiring and publishing classified information for the purpose of espionage”. This signalled the arrest of those of us who were well aware that the president of the republic’s wishes are received as orders by the judges of the criminal court. Thus, on 26 November I was arrested along with Erdem Gül, our Ankara bureau chief, who published the gendarmerie’s “Yes, the trucks had guns” report. Just 10 days before my arrest, I received a Reporters Without Borders press freedom award on behalf of Cumhuriyet.
Will Erdoğan allow greater press freedom in Turkey? Don’t count on it
Roy Greenslade Read more
Following criticism of the arrests from domestic and international press and human rights organisations, the minister of justice declared that “every country is sensitive on security” and cited Julian Assange and Edward Snowden as examples. The US ambassador to Turkey responded: “We chased after those that leaked the information, not those that published it.”
This was yet another blow for the oppressive Erdoğan regime, which has plummeted in the press freedom rankings. It also sparked questions that have surfaced time and time again in many scandals, from Iran-Contra to Watergate, from the Pentagon Papers to the Clive Ponting affair. When the state’s need for security contradicts the public’s right to information, which carries a higher priority? Can the threat to security be an excuse for government attempts to muzzle the media? When the stamp of “state secret” has turned into a veil concealing the dirty dealings of administrations, is it not the duty of a journalist to tear it away? Who determines what is in the best interests of the society?
As a journalist detained in solitary confinement in a prison in İstanbul, faced with accusations of “espionage”, I have been seeking answers to these questions. My conclusion is that no label of “state secret” and no rationale for “state security” permits a state crime. Thus I defend myself with Winston Churchill’s words: “The Official Secrets Act was devised to protect the national defence … and ought not to be used to shield ministers who have a strong personal interest in concealing the truth.”
Είχε τεθεί επανειλημμένως υπό σύλληψη και σήμερα συνελήφθει ξανά…..
Sat Nov 5, 2016 | 3:54am EDT
Turkey orders formal arrest of nine Cumhuriyet executives and journalists: NTV
urkish authorities ordered the formal arrest pending trial on Saturday of nine executives and journalists of a leading opposition newspaper following their detention on Monday, broadcaster NTV said.
The detention of the editor and senior staff of Cumhuriyet over the secularist newspaper’s alleged support for a failed coup in July was described by a top EU politician as the crossing of a red line against freedom of expression.
(Writing by Tuvan Gumrukcu; Editing by Catherine Evans)